Mahi Mahi / Florida Wines
Show Description: We’re headed to the southernmost city in the U.S. as Chad Crawford shows you how to catch Mahi Mahi in Key West. Plus, Chef Justin Timineri’s bringing you his sweet and tangy recipe for Mahi Mahi Kebobs with Citrus glaze. Then, discover the rolling hills of Clermont and the Lakeridge Winery as Chad and his wife, Kristy, learn the art of wine making.
When: You can fish for Mahi Mahi all year round but since the fish prefer warm water, summer is the most recommended!
Where: Dolphin fish are pelagic which means they roam the open ocean. However, to fish with Captain Randy Towe you’ll need to head down to Islamorada in the Florida Keys.
How Much: All charters are different so check around to see what works for you. Captain Randy Towe has two rates: Inshore charter for 2 – $475 for a half day 4 hour trip $650 for an all day 8 hour trip. Offshore charter for up to 6 – $800 for a half day 4 hour trip $1100 for an all day 8 hour trip
What you’ll need: With Captain Randy everything is provided for you! He only recommends that you brings snacks, sun screen and maybe a hat!
Resource Links: Captain Randy Towe’s Fishing Charters
Florida Cooking: Mahi Mahi Kebobs
Yield 4 Servings
- 1.5 pounds Florida Mahi Mahi, cut into one inch cubes
- 2 large Florida bell peppers cut into one inch pieces
- 2 large sweet onions cut into one inch pieces
- 2 large Florida zucchini cut into one inch pieces
- 4 Florida yellow squash cut into one inch pieces
- 12 Florida mushrooms, cut in half
- 20 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for at least one hour
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 Florida orange, juiced
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- Olive oil
- Skewer the mahi mahi cubes evenly onto 4 of the bamboo skewers.
- Do the same thing with all of the vegetables keeping each vegetable on a separate skewer.
- Season each skewer lightly with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl combine orange juice, lime juice, orange zest, lemon juice, parsley and garlic.
- Stir to combine.
- Using a whisk, whisk in a small amount of olive oil at a time until a vinaigrette is made.
- Preheat oven broiler or grill on medium high heat.
- Cook skewers for 7 to 10 minutes or until the mahi mahi is completely done and the vegetables are crisp tender.
- Note that the vegetables have slightly different cooking times.
- Remove skewers from heat and serve warm.
how to Do Florida Wines
When: The Lakeridge Winery offers tours and wine tastings 7 days a week. They last about 45 minutes and are offered from 10am to 5pm Monday-Saturday and 11am to 5pm on Sunday.
Where: Wineries are located all across the beautiful state of Florida and are growing in population so search around your hometown. The Lakeridge Winery is located in Clermont about 35 minutes west of Orlando.
How Much: The tours and tastings at Lakeridge are complimentary year round, however, you may want to bring some spending money for their gift shop to purchase some delicious local wine and gourmet foods!
What you’ll need: Other than some spending money for the gift shop and a valid ID the only thing you’ll need is good company!
Resource Links: Lakeridge Winery & Vineyards