Best of the Keys / Turtle Nesting
Host Chad Crawford takes you from Key Largo thru Key West to show you the Best of the Keys, and why the Conch Republic has a rhythm all its own! Plus, Chef Justin Timineri brings you his twist on a Florida Key’s classic recipe — Key Lime Pie with fresh Florida blueberries! Watch Chef and Chad go all-in when they deep fry a slice of the of the iconic pie.Then join Chad as he gets the rare opportunity to witness Loggerhead turtles nesting in Cape Canaveral.
Best of the Keys
how to Do Marine Life Encounter
Our favorite and your best bet for seeing marine life up close and personal is Captain Slate’s Atlantis Dive Center in Key Largo.Click here to learn more about the Marine Life Encounter.
how to Do Fly Fishing
Fly Fishing in the Keys is a year round activity, with different species moving through the area at different times of the year. Fly Fishing is a skill set that can be learned in a few days but takes a lifetime to master. Click here to learn more about Fly Fishing
how to Do Lobstering
Lobster can be found in many areas in South Florida, but the Keys are by far the most famous and iconic place to go Lobstering in Florida. Click here to learn more about Lobstering.
how to Do Wreck Diving
The most popular areas for wreck diving in Florida are the Keys and certain locations in the Panhandle. Wreck diving can be done year round, as long as the water visibility is good. Click here to learn more about Wreck Diving.
Florida Cooking: Key Lime Pie
Yield 8 to 10 Servings
Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 and 1/2 cup finely crushed graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 Cup butter, melted
- 3 Tablespoons Florida sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, butter and sugar.
- Stir ingredients to combine.
- Press the graham mixture into the bottom and sides of a 9″ pie pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Let cool completely.
- Set aside.
Key Lime Pie Filling
- 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- ½ cup fresh squeezed key lime juice
- 3 teaspoons of fresh key lime zest
- Preheat the oven to 325.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine condensed milk, egg yolks, key lime juice and key lime zest.
- Use a whisk to make sure all ingredients are combined.
- The combined ingredients will naturally thicken slightly.
- Pour key lime pie filling mixture into the cooled graham cracker crust.
- Bake pie for 10 to 15 minutes or until the pie looks almost all the way set.
- Remove pie from oven and let cool to room temperature.
- Cover pie and place in the refrigerator as it is best served cold.
- To serve top pie with fresh whipped cream and slices of fresh key lime.
Florida Blueberry topping for Key Lime Pie
- 2 cups Florida blueberries
- 1/2 cup apricot jam
- 1 tablespoon orange liquor
- Heat the apricot jam and liquor in a small saucepan over medium heat until completely melted.
- Arrange blueberries in a single layer over the key lime pie.
- Using a pastry brush, brush a layer of melted jam over the blueberries.
- Let cool.
Fried Key Lime Pie Bites
- 12 one inch cubes of key lime pie, frozen with bamboo skewers stuck in the middle
- 2 quarts vegetable oil for frying
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup pancake mix
- Heat oil in deep-fryer to 375 degrees.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine egg, milk, and 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil in a bowl until smooth.
- Stir in the pancake mix until no dry lumps remain.
- Dip the frozen key lime pie bites into the batter one at a time, and carefully place into the hot frying oil.
- Fry only 4 or 5 at a time to avoid overcrowding the deep fryer.
- Cook until the outside is slightly golden-brown, about 2 minutes.
- Drain before serving. Dust bites with powdered sugar.
how to Do Turtle Nesting
Where: Archie Carr National Wildlife Refuge has two locations in Florida. One location is Barrier Island Management & Ecosystem Center which is located in Melbourne beach about an hour east of Orlando. The second location is Sebastion Inlet State Park, Fishing Museum approximately two hours southeast of Orlando.
When: Turtle nesting tours are only offered June throught July so be sure to call and make your reservations early as they can book up quickly. Reservations typically open in May.
How Much: Barrier Island Management & Ecosystem Center = $15.00 per person Sebastion Inlet State Park, Fishing Museum = Free
What You’ll Need: The tour can last up to three hours so it’s recommended to bring good walking shoes and a bottle of water. What is more important is what NOT to bring. No flash photography is allowed so no cameras or phones can be brought on the tour.
Resource Links: Archie Carr National Wildlife Refuge