Venomous Snakes / Golden Crab Burgers / Sporting Clays
Show description: Chad Crawford gets within striking distance of Florida’s venomous snakes on a trip to Orlando to learn more about these misunderstood serpents. Plus, Chef Justin Timineri’s showing you his recipe for melt-in-your-mouth Golden Crab Burgers. Then, Chad and his wife spend a day in the Florida timberlands, at the exclusive Gilchrist Club in Trenton, learning to shoot sporting clays.
When: The Central Florida Zoo & Botanical Gardens is open daily from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
Where: You may have a zoo locally that you can visit but the Central Florida Zoo & Botanical Gardens is located in Orlando.
How much: All zoos are different so be sure to check the local prices. The Central Florida Zoo charges $14.95 for adults, $12.95 for seniors 60+, $10.95 for children 1-12 and it is free for children under two as well as Central Florida Zoo members.
What you’ll need: Good walking shoes! Other than that you may want to bring water if it’s hot out and feel free to bring lunch and take advantage of the picnic tables they offer!
Resource Links: Central Florida Zoo & Botanical Gardens
Florida Cooking: Florida Crab Burgers
Yield 4 Servings
- 1 pound Golden crabmeat (or Florida Blue Crab meat)
- 4 crowns leaf lettuce
- 1 Florida tomato, sliced
- 1/2 small onion, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon seafood seasoning
- 1/4 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated plus extra for topping
- 4 hamburger rolls
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine crabmeat, chopped onion, Worcestershire, seafood seasoning, celery, mayo, and cheese.
- Lightly season with salt and pepper and fold ingredients together using a rubber spatula.
- Toast the hamburger buns under broiler. Spread an even amount of the crab mixture over each bun, and top with extra grated cheese if desired.
- Place the topped burgers back under the broiler until the cheese is bubbly and melted.
- Place lettuce and tomato between each burger and assemble the halves.
how to Do: Sporting Clays
When: Facilities for shooting sporting clays are open year round so you can check for local facilities to find out hours of operation.
Where: Clay shooting is offered all over Florida so you should be able to locate a facility close to home. The Gilchrist Club is located in Trenton Florida northwest of Orlando.
How Much: Throughout the state the average rate for 100 targets and 100 rounds is $70.00. The Gilchrist Club is exclusively for members only, however, lessons are offered year round at the club for the public. To make reservations for a lesson please call the reservation desk at 352-463-7070.
What You’ll need: Some clubs may require you to bring your own gun and personal gear but most offer all of it on site. The Gilchrist Club provides all the necessary gear for their guests. This includes your gun, ammunition and safety goggles as well as a professional shooting expert.